- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Colby cheese
- 6 medium russet or yukon gold potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs or panko
- Preheat oven to 375F°.
- Melt butter in 2-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook in butter for 2 minutes until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Cook until bubbly, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Stir in milk and heat to boiling for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Stir in 1 1/2 cups of cheese until melted.
- Spread potatoes in ungreased 1 1/2-quart casserole.
- Pour cheese sauce over potatoes.
- Bake for 1 hour, uncovered. Mix remaining 1/2 cup cheese and bread crumbs, then sprinkle over potatoes.
- Bake uncovered for 15-20 minutes until top is brown and bubbly and potatoes are tender.
- ** awesome with steamed broccoli and ham!
NotesHere's a recipe I made last year for christmas day to go with our ham:
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Breads and Pastry 101
Driscoll's Berry Desserts
MetroCooking DC 2013See More
Carmelized Banana Tart (Land O Lakes)
Betty Crocker Ooey Gooey Pumpkin Caramel Cupcakes
Chinese Chicken WingsSee More