Poulet Bonne Femme (Good Woman's Chicken)
2-4 Chicken Breasts (if they are large, halve them to make 4)
Poultry Seasoning blend
Olive Oil & Butter for sauteing
1/2 bottle+/- Chardonnay
4 Yukon Gold Potatoes, quartered
4 Carrots, sliced
1 stalk Celery, sliced
4 cloves Garlic, chopped
1 sm Vidalia Onion, sliced
1/2 container White Button or Baby Portabello Mushrooms, sliced
Salt & Pepper to taste
3-4 sprigs ea fresh: Thyme, Marjoram, Oregano, or other savory herb
1/2 pint+/- Cream (half n half)
* Heat oil & butter in Dutch oven; season breasts and saute (I cut up veggies while chicken is cooking) til browned on both sides, turning once. Remove from pan and set aside.
* Deglaze pan w/splash of wine, scraping any bits from pan.
* Add potatoes and liberal splash of wine; stir, cover and cook 5-7min or so.
* Add carrots and repeat as before. The idea is to slowly steam/saute veggies without overcooking (boiling); stir often but cover to cook.
* Add celery, garlic, onion, mushrooms, herbs and season w/salt & pepper, add splash of wine, and repeat again as before.
* Once veggies are tender-crisp, remove from pan.
* Whisk in flour, adding splashes of wine as needed to make a roux and keep paste from scorching and becoming too thick to manage; cook 5-7min or so, whisking constantly.
* Slowly add cream, whisking constantly, cooking to a low, simmering boil til thickened but not gravy-like, 7-10min.
* Return veggies & meat to sauce; reduce heat to very low, stir, cover and cook til reheated through and chicken is done, 5-10min.
* Serve chicken atop veggies covered w/sauce and garnish w/reserved sprigs of herbs.
Pairs Well With
Or Country French Chicken- whatever you want to call it. You can also make it w/seafood, but obviously then it wouldn't be called "poulet".