- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 celery stalk, chopped(about 1/2 cup)
- 1 onion, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat butter in saucepan over medium-high heat.
- When foaming subsides, add vegetables and cook, stirring frequently until softened and well browned, about 7 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium. Stir in flour and cook, stirring constantly, until thoroughly browned and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Whisking constantly, gradually add broths.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add bay leaf, and thyme.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally until thickened and reduced to about 3 cups, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Strain gravy through fine-mesh strainer into clean saucepan, pressing on solids to extract as much liquid as possible; discard solids.
- Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot.
- We decided to remove just the bay leaf. Then, we mashed the solids and returned them to the gravy.
NotesFast, delicious, easy and no turkey drippings required! I made this terrific gravy two days before and froze it!! Then, I thawed it on the stovetop and added 1/4 cup of turkey drippings and whisked just to loosen it up before serving.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Growers' Giveback Potluck
Babette's Test Kitchen
Pies, wonderful pies! Both sweet and savoury.See More
Chinese New Years Sticky Rice Cake
Mushroom Barley Soup
Billy's Vanilla, Vanilla CupcakesSee More