POWDERED SUGAR FROSTING
- Enough for 24 cupcakes or 1 three-layer cake
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1 pound powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons milk, half-and-half or evaporated milk
In a medium bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer until creamy and smooth.
Add sugar, vanilla and salt; beat for 1 minute. Add milk; beat on high speed until frosting is smooth and creamy, stopping the mixer often to scrape the sides of the bowl.
112 calories; 4g fat; 2.5g saturated fat; 10mg cholesterol; no protein; 19g carbohydrate; 18.5g sugar; no fiber; 25mg sodium; 3mg calcium; 4mg potassium.
• To make chocolate frosting, replace 1/2 cup sugar with 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder.
• To make strawberry, blackberry or raspberry frosting, increase the sugar by 1/3 cup, and add 1/3 cup of strawberry, blackberry or raspberry jam along with the milk.
• To make lemon or orange frosting, omit the vanilla and substitute 1 teaspoon of lemon or orange extract and 2 teaspoons of grated lemon or orange zest.
Adapted from “Southern Cakes,” by Nancie McDermott