- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- Enough for 24 cupcakes or 1 three-layer cake
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1 pound powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons milk, half-and-half or evaporated milk
- In a medium bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer until creamy and smooth.
- Add sugar, vanilla and salt; beat for 1 minute. Add milk; beat on high speed until frosting is smooth and creamy, stopping the mixer often to scrape the sides of the bowl.
- 112 calories; 4g fat; 2.5g saturated fat; 10mg cholesterol; no protein; 19g carbohydrate; 18.5g sugar; no fiber; 25mg sodium; 3mg calcium; 4mg potassium.
- • To make chocolate frosting, replace 1/2 cup sugar with 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder.
- • To make strawberry, blackberry or raspberry frosting, increase the sugar by 1/3 cup, and add 1/3 cup of strawberry, blackberry or raspberry jam along with the milk.
- • To make lemon or orange frosting, omit the vanilla and substitute 1 teaspoon of lemon or orange extract and 2 teaspoons of grated lemon or orange zest.
- Adapted from “Southern Cakes,” by Nancie McDermott
NotesPulled from an article in the St. Louis Post Dispatch.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
$30 Wine+Food Pairings
St.George YMCA-YWCA Before and After School Cookbook
Let Food Be Thy Medicine ... and Medicine Be Thy FoodSee More
Cocktail (The V)
Angel Acres Feel Better Chicken Noodle Soup
Twisted Shirley TempleSee More