- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time:
- 8 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 8 thick slices sourdough bread (I use Challah)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- Beat the eggs and half-and-half in a small bowl. Whisk in 1 tablespoon brown sugar and vanilla. Pour 1/2 of the egg mixture into a 9x13-inch baking dish. Arrange the bread slices in the dish, trimming crusts to fit if necessary. Pour the remaining egg mixture over the bread. Chill, covered, for several hours or overnight.
- Melt the butter in another 9x13-inch baking dish. Stir in 3/4 cup brown sugar and the syrup. Sprinkle the pecans over the bottom. Place the egg-soaked bread slices carefully on top of the pecans with a spatula. Pour the remaining egg mixture over the bread. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes or until the bread is light brown and puffed.
- To serve, invert the toast onto plates and spoon pecans from the bottom of the dish over the toast.
NotesWhen I first quit my day job as an executive administrative assistant, and took my first job in a wine shop, I was on a hunt for delicious brunch recipes that I could enjoy any day of the week. I found this one in the book "The Life of the Party" by the Tampa Junior Women's League and it has been a staple ever since.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Easy Homemade Salad Dressings
MY KIDS REALLY EAT THIS! Turner Parents Cookbook 2013
NFPG Recipe CollectionSee More
Holey Moley Dark Mexican Chocolate Dulce De Leche Brownies
Sweet, Salty, Frito CandySee More