- Cooking Time: 70
- Preparation Time:
- 4 sticks butter, cut into cubes and softened
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 10 eggs, separated
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 1/4 cups crumbled Pralines (recipe follows)
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter two 9 by 5 by 3-inch loaf pan with 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Using an electric mixer, cream the remaining butter and sugar together. With a rubber spatula, scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks and vanilla together until the yolks are frothy. With the mixer on medium-low, slowly add the whisked yolks into the creamed butter and mix for 4 minutes.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt, together. While the mixer is running, alternately add the flour mixture and egg whites to the creamed butter mixture, a third at a time. Mix the batter until incorporated. Mix in the lemon zest.
- Pour half the batter into one prepared pan. Fold the pralines and rum into the remaining batter. Mix well.
- Pour the praline batter into the other prepared pan. Bake the plain cake for 1 hour and the praline cake for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Remove the cakes and slice.