- Cooking Time: 35-40
- Preparation Time:
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup chopped pecans, divided
- 2 cups flour
- ¾ cup cocoa
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1 cup hot water
- ½ cup fudge topping
- ½ cup chocolate chips, melted
- Chocolate Frosting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter bottoms of two 9-inch round cake pans. Fit a circle of parchment paper large enough to cover the bottom of the pans and up 1-inch of the sides of the pans.
- Heat butter, brown sugar, and sweetened condensed milk in a 2 quart saucepan over medium heat. Heat until the butter melts and the sugar is dissolved. Do not boil.
- Divide the sugar mixture between the pans. Sprinkle ¾ cup pecans over the sugar mixture and set aside to cool.
- Combine flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl. Add eggs, sour cream, oil, vanilla, vinegar, and 1 cup hot water. Mix well with a wooden spoon until smooth. Pour batter into pans – over the sugar mixture.
- Bake until a toothpick comes out clean, approximately 35-40 minutes.
- Cool for 10 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of the pans and turn onto cooling racks. Remove paper and cool completely.
- Assemble the cake. Spread the fudge topping over the sugar mixture side of one cake layer. Place the second layer over the first and drizzle with the melted chocolate and the remaining ¼ cup pecans. Frost sides with your favorite chocolate frosting.
- NOTE: The melted chocolate on the top is good, but it is hard to cut if you aren’t serving soon after making. Thus, you may want to slice before it sets up too much.
NotesIf you are having a bad day, just cut off a slice of this cake and start eating! You will feel so much better. If you are feeling on top of the world, what better way than to top it off with a slice of this cake. It is so good!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Vegan Glass Jar Goodies
Holidays = Desserts = Happiness
50 Shades of TasteSee More
Pineapple-Black Bean Enchiladas
Mascarpone Brownies With Honey Chocolate Sauce
Chicken RollupsSee More