- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1/4 cup plus 2 TB Granulated Sugar
- 2 TB Light Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup Buttermilk
- 3/8 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/8 tsp Cinnamon
- Pinch of Mace
- 1 1/2 TB butter
- 1 Cup Toasted Walnut Halves or other favorite Drupe, Nut, Legume or Seed
- If your walnuts are raw, toast them in a 350 degree oven for about 8 minutes
- Line your counter with waxed paper.
- In medium heavy saucepan, cook Sugars, Buttermilk, Cinnamon, Mace and Baking Soda over medium heat untill the syrup reaches Firm Ball stage (243-250 degrees); stirring constantly to prevent scorching of the buttermilk.
- When the mix has reached the proper temp, remove from heat, and mix the butter into the syrup. (This is important, the added fat will prevent premature crystallization of the sugar)
- Add Walnuts and stir to coat.
- Pour Walnuts onto Wax Paper Lined counter and separate the nuts as quickly as possible.
- Let cool completely before attempting to eat.... Trust me, they are extremely hot!!
NotesWhat to do with Praline Walnuts, besides sitting in a corner and eating them all, one by one?
I like to make, what I call, Mediterranean Salad. I delicious combination of peppery Arugula, Crispy Pear, Pungent Blue Cheese, and Crunchy Praline Walnuts all drizzled with a Lemon-Honey Vinaigrette.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Get Back in the Kitchen! Easy Healthy Meals for the Non-Chef by Kathy and Andrew Judson
Let's Talk Turkey! My Family's Turkey Day Feast
Angel Acres Soup & Chili CookbookSee More
Mochi (sticky sweet rice cakes)
Thai Vegetable Stir Fry
Virgin Pomegranate and Cranberry BellinisSee More