- Cooking Time: 13 minutes
- Servings: 6 servings
- Preparation Time:
- 1 pound lentils
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 med size onions, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 6 cups chicken broth of water
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 1 cup coarsely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 TBSP brown sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp white pepper ( added some Bermuda Sauce instead )
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp dried tarragon
- 2 TBSP white wine vinegar ( I use Balsamic)
- Place lentils in a bowl.**** Add enough water to measure 2 inches above lentils. Soak 4 hours. Drain. I did not soak them. ****Several of my other PC books say that you do not have to soak lentils. This would be a time saver.
- In PC, heat oil. Add onions and garlic and sauté in hot oil 3 - 4 minutes.
- Stir in drained lentils.
- Add broth, carrots, celery, tomato paste, brown sugar, salt, pepper, bay leaves, and tarragon.
- Stir well. Secure lid.
- Over HI heat, develop steam to HI pressure. Reduce heat to maintain pressure and cook 12 minutes.
- Release pressure according to manufacturer’s directions. Remove lid.
- Cook over high heat 1 minute. Stir in vinegar. Discard bay leaves. Serve hot.
- The vinegar adds a zesty flavor. It is often added to Mediterranean Legume dishes.
- I have never been big on legumes, but I just love this. You must try it. It also freezes well.
NotesI think the pressure cookers are coming back. You just have to use one once to see what fabulous dishes can be prepared in it. It takes more time to cut the veggies than to cook a pot of soup. The flavors in a pressure cooked dish are much more rich and flavorful. This is one of my favorite soups.
I have also added some Kielbasi to this. Nice change.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Breads and Pastry 101
Driscoll's Berry Desserts
MetroCooking DC 2013See More
Carmelized Banana Tart (Land O Lakes)
Betty Crocker Ooey Gooey Pumpkin Caramel Cupcakes
Chinese Chicken WingsSee More