PROVINCAL VEGETABLE SOUP WITH GARLIC, BASIL AND HERBS
Provincal Vegetable Soup with Garlic, Basil and Herbs
- Cooking Time: 1 hr
- Servings: 6-8
- 3 quarts water
- 2 cups diced carrots
- 2 cups diced potatoes
- 2 cups diced onion or the white parts of leeks
- 1 TB salt
- 2 cups white beans, cooked or canned
- 2 cups green beans, frozen veggies or what ever you have on hand (I had broccoli and cauliflower)
- 1/3 cup vermicelli (or broken speghetti. I used orzo which absorbed a lot of the broth)
- 1 slice stale bread, crumbled into crumbs (or use about 1/4 cup bread crumbs)
- 1/8 pepper
- Pinch of saffron
- 4 garlic cloves, mashed
- 6 TB tomato puree (I used tomato sauce)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped (or 1 1/2 TB dried basil)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup olive oil
In a large pot slowly boil the carrots, potatoes, onions (or leeks) and salt for 40 minutes. Add more salt if necessary.
Add the green beans (or what ever fresh vegetable you're using) beans, the vermicelli, bread crumbs, pepper and saffron. Boil slowly for about 15 minute or until your vegetable is just cooked through. Correct seasoning again if necessary.
While the vegetables are cooking, prepare the pistou as follows: in a bowl blend the garlic, tomato puree, basil and cheese. Drop by drop, mix in the olive oil. When the soup is ready to serve, add a cup of the soup to the pistou and blend. Then pour this mixture into your soup. Serve with bread.
Website Credit: http://peacefulcooking.blogspot.com/2012/06/provincal-vegetable-soup-with-garlic.html