- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- One 5 - 6 pound leg or shoulder of pork
- 3 Sour oranges (substitute for 1 cup orange juice and 3 lemons if Sour
- Oranges are not available) 2 heads of garlic, cloves separated and peeled
- 2 medium yellow onions thinly sliced
- 1 Tbs. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- The night before serving, remove any excess fat from the leg of pork and pierce the meat all over with the tip of a knife. In a blender combine juices, garlic, oregano, salt, and cumin, and blend into a thick mixture. Place the pork in a non reactive pan and rub it well with the mixture making sure you spread some of in inside the holes you pierced, sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper. Place onions slices over the meat; cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight, turning the meat several times.
- About 6 hours before serving, preheat the oven to 350 F degrees. Remove the meat from the marinade; remove the onion slices. With your hands scrape as much of the marinade as possible and reserve the marinade. Place the pork in an aluminum-foil-lined roasting pan. Insert in it a meat thermometer, making sure it's not touching the bone. Roast the meat for an hour then lower the oven temperature to 325 F. Pour the reserved marinade over it, cover loosely with aluminum foil, making sure it doesn't touch the leg. Cook until the thermometer reaches and internal temperature of 180 F.
- When it is done, remove the leg of pork to a serving platter and allow it to stand, covered with the foil, 15 minutes before carving. Serve with Mojo Criollo (Creole Garlic Sauce)
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Angel Acres Super Scrumptious Cookie Recipes!
Food Travels Through Italy
The Lizz Delicious Cookbook Vol. 1See More
pistachio cranberry icebox cookies
Teeny Tiny Italian Meat-loaves
Mom's Holiday Stove Top StuffingSee More