- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time:
- 6 cans (4 ounces each) whole green chilies, drained
- 8 flour tortillas (6 inches), cut into 1-inch strips
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 3 cups egg substitute
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup salsa
- Cut along one side of each chili and open to lie flat. Coat a 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Layer half of the chilies, tortilla strips, mozzarella and cheddar cheeses in prepared dish. Repeat layers.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg substitute, milk, garlic powder, cumin, pepper and salt. Pour over cheese. Sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until puffy and a knife inserted 2 in. from the edge of the pan comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Serve with salsa.
NotesI halved this recipe in a smaller pan with great success. I wish I had taken a picture of my own as this one does not do the casserole justice. I made it with the canned chilies and it was good...so if you can still get some fresh roasted Hatch chilies and use those, it would be absolutely spectacular! From Light and Tasty
Nutrition Facts: 1 piece with 4 teaspoons salsa equals 213 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 690 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 18 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.