- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 cups corn masa mix
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1/4 cups warm water
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Shredded chicken, guacamole, beans and cheese or your favorite filling
- Combine the masa mix, salt and warm water in a large bowl and mix until a smooth dough forms. Pull off pieces of dough and roll them into balls about the size of a ping pong ball.
- Cut a quart size resealable plastic bag open down both sides, to form a rectangle. Use the bag to line the tortilla press as you shape the tortillas so they do not stick: Lay 1 side of the plastic over the bottom of the press. Place a ball of dough in the center, and fold the other side of the plastic over the dough. Shut the top of the tortilla and press firmly down on the dough to shape the tortilla.
- Meanwhile, pour 2 inches of vegetable oil into a large deep pot and heat to 350 degrees F.
- Drop a tortilla into the hot oil and, using a metal spatula, repeatedly douse the tortilla with the hot oil until it begins to puff up. Flip it over and, using the spatula, make an indentation in the center of the tortilla to form a taco shape. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Fill each taco with 2 tablespoons of shredded chicken, guacamole, beans and cheese or your favorite filling.
NotesRecipe courtesy Diana Barrios
Yield: 12 to 15 taco shells
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Real Deal Apple Recipes.
Delightful DessertsSee More
Tabouleh (Cracked Wheat/Cucumber Salad)
Annie's Strawberry Dessert
Old Fashioned GingerbreadSee More