- Cooking Time: 31 min.
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 20 min.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14-ounce) can low-sodium tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 5 tablespoons molasses
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 whole rotisserie chicken, skin removed, meat shredded into thin strips (about 4 to 4 1/2 cups)
- 6 whole-wheat hamburger rolls
- 6 large green lettuce leaves
- Heat the oil in a large saute pan over a medium heat. Add the onions and cook until they are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, water, vinegar, molasses, pepper and liquid smoke and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes. Add chopped chicken, return to a simmer, and cook an additional 10 minutes.
- Split rolls. Place a leaf of lettuce on each roll, then pile on 3/4 cup of the chicken mixture onto the roll.
Sauce du Jour Culinary Institution: where every crazy chef gets a sharp knife
KITCHEN CAUCUS Liberal Helpings
Angel Acres Thanksgiving Dinner Cookbook!See More
Vanilla Caramel Nut Ice Cream Pudding (with salted caramel and hot chocolate sauce)
Candy Cane Fudge
Pancit PalabokSee More