- Cooking Time: 31 min.
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 20 min.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14-ounce) can low-sodium tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 5 tablespoons molasses
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 whole rotisserie chicken, skin removed, meat shredded into thin strips (about 4 to 4 1/2 cups)
- 6 whole-wheat hamburger rolls
- 6 large green lettuce leaves
- Heat the oil in a large saute pan over a medium heat. Add the onions and cook until they are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, water, vinegar, molasses, pepper and liquid smoke and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes. Add chopped chicken, return to a simmer, and cook an additional 10 minutes.
- Split rolls. Place a leaf of lettuce on each roll, then pile on 3/4 cup of the chicken mixture onto the roll.
A Happy Life Cookbook : Recipes for a Healthy Life
Vegan Glass Jar GoodiesSee More
Dark Molten Chocolate Cakes
Shrimp and Penne Pasta Salad with Pesto, Bocconcini and Cherry Tomatoes
Turkey and Heirloom Tomato Frittata with BasilSee More