- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time:
- 2 lbs Boneless skinless chicken breasts or tenders
- 1 small Onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves of Garlic, Crushed
- 4 springs of Cilantro
- 2 tsp Salt
- the Juice of 1 lime
- Chipotle Sauce:
- 3 TB Olive oil
- 3/4 cup Onion, Finely minced
- 3 cloved of garlic; minced
- 28 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 can of Chipotle Peppers in adobo sauce
- 3 TB Tomato Paste (I use the kind in the tube)
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- Juice of 1 lime (If using Mexican/Key lime, use 3 limes)
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 1/2 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt
- 6 TB Cilantro, Chopped (reserved for later)
- In stockpot, bring chicken, onion, garlic, cilantro, lime and salt to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or until chicken is not longer pink.
- Remove Chicken and set aside to cool for 10 minutes; discard onion, garlic and coriander.
- Using 2 forks, shred chicken finely and set aside again.
- In separate saucepan, heat oil over medium-low heat;
- Saute onion for 4 minutes then add garlic and continue sauteing until onion is translucent.
- In blender, purée tomatoes, chipotle peppers, and tomato paste; add to onion mixture along with the tomato sauce and chicken stock.
- Simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened; about 35 minutes.
- Add the reserved chicken along with Oregano and salt; cook for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in cilantro.
NotesThis makes alot. But it keeps well in the refrigerator. So you always have a delicious quick late night snack available. I have to admit though, pulling meat into shreds with 2 forks is a little time consuming, but the texture it creates is superior to trying to pull it apart with your fingers. When using fingers the meat ends up more "squished" instead of "fluffy shreds" if that makes ANY sense...
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
WorkingBug's Open House Cookbook
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 2 Desserts and Cakes
TECHmunch Austin 2013 Food Blogger Community CookbookSee More
Sauteed Spinach with Garlic: Julie & Julia
Red Cabbage and Apple Salad with Ginger Vinaigrette
Marly's Vegan Coconut CakeSee More