PULLED CHIPOTLE CHICKEN
Pulled Chipotle Chicken
- Servings: 8
- 2 lbs Boneless skinless chicken breasts or tenders
- 1 small Onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves of Garlic, Crushed
- 4 springs of Cilantro
- 2 tsp Salt
- the Juice of 1 lime
- Chipotle Sauce:
- 3 TB Olive oil
- 3/4 cup Onion, Finely minced
- 3 cloved of garlic; minced
- 28 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 can of Chipotle Peppers in adobo sauce
- 3 TB Tomato Paste (I use the kind in the tube)
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- Juice of 1 lime (If using Mexican/Key lime, use 3 limes)
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 1/2 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt
- 6 TB Cilantro, Chopped (reserved for later)
In stockpot, bring chicken, onion, garlic, cilantro, lime and salt to boil.
Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or until chicken is not longer pink.
Remove Chicken and set aside to cool for 10 minutes; discard onion, garlic and coriander.
Using 2 forks, shred chicken finely and set aside again.
In separate saucepan, heat oil over medium-low heat;
Saute onion for 4 minutes then add garlic and continue sauteing until onion is translucent.
In blender, purée tomatoes, chipotle peppers, and tomato paste; add to onion mixture along with the tomato sauce and chicken stock.
Simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened; about 35 minutes.
Add the reserved chicken along with Oregano and salt; cook for another 10 minutes.
Remove from heat; stir in cilantro.