- Cooking Time: 4-4 and a half hours
- Servings: 12-15
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes or less
- or the rub:
- 1 Tbsp Paprika
- 1 Tbsp Firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp coursely ground black pepper
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1 Boneless(I used Bone in and it worked fine) Shoulder Pork Roast (Boston Butt) 4-5 lbs. Rolled and tied
- For the sauce:
- 1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp tabasco sauce
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Kosher Salt (to taste)
- Freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- Hamburger Buns
- To make the rub:
- In a small bowl, combine the rub ingredients
- Coat the roast evenly with the rub. Allow to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before grilling.
- Grill the roast, fat side up, over Indirect Medium heat until the internal temperature reaches between 185 to 190 degrees F. (3 to 4 hours).
- The meat should be tender so it pulls apart easily.
- Remove from grill, place on a platter and loosely cover with foil. Allow to rest for about 20 minutes.
- To make the sauce:
- In a medium saucepan, combine the sauce ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Keep warm
- Thinly slice, chop or "pull" the pork meat into shreds with your fingers or two forks, discarding any large bits of fat.
- Moisten the meat with some of the sauce and mix well in a bowl.
- Grill the buns over direct medium heat until slightly toasted (about 30 seconds). Serve the pulled pork on the buns with the remaining sauce on the side.
NotesThis came almost direct from the Webber Big Book of Grilling. I made this for a Saturday kids come play adults come eat and drink day with a big pot of crockpot turkey chili (Recipe to come). And it was a big hit with most. I think a few thought the pork might have been a wee bit sour, so next time I might ease up on the sauce or leave more of it on the side and let people put the sauce on to taste as the pork alone was really good.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Sharing Christmas with Friends
culinary karmaSee More
Louisiana Crabmeat Stuffed Artichoke
Slow-Cooker Chicken Tortilla SoupSee More