PUMPKIN/PORCINI PUREE PIZZA WITH RED ONION, CRIMINI AND OYSTER MUSHROOMS, TOPPED WITH ITALIAN FONTINA AND BASIL CHIFFONADE.
- Cooking Time: 8-10
- Servings: 4-8
- Preparation Time:
- For Puree:
- 1/2 cup Vegetable Stock
- 1 1/2 TB Porcini Powder
- 1 tsp balsamic Vinegar
- 1 tsp Marjoram
- 1 tsp Sage
- 1tsp Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Mace
- 1/4 tsp Coriander
- 2 Garlic Cloved, Minced fine or Crushed
- 3/4 cup baked pumpkin flesh
- Kosher Salt
- Topping: (This is per 12 inch pizza; double these amounts for 2 pizzas)
- 3 oz Crimini Mushrooms (Sliced)
- 3 oz Oyster Mushrooms (sliced)
- 3 Oz Italian Fontina; Shredded
- 2 oz Mozzarella
- Several thin slices of Red Cipollini onion (that’s the Flat Red Onions)
- 1 oz Parmagiano-Reggiano
- 10 Leaves of Basil; Chiffonade
- Optional: 1 tsp Red Pepper Flake
- Heat vegetable stock in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add Balsamic and Porcini Powder along with herbs, spices and garlic
- Once heated well, remove from heat and add pumpkin.
- Use a stick blender to puree the mixture together into a thick paste.
- Set aside to cook and prepare your crust
- Spread about 3-4 TB of the mixture on the crust as you would Tomato sauce.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 the Parmagiano-Reggiano
- Lay out your sliced onions
- Sprinkle with a 1/2 Mozzarella and 1/2 the Fontina
- Add the Mushrooms and optional red pepper flake
- Sprinkle with remaining Mozzarella and remaining Fontina
- Sprinkle with remaining Parmagiano-Reggiano
- Bake for 8-10 minutes on a preheated stone
- Remove from Stone and sprinkle with Chiffonade Basil
- Let pizza rest a few minutes before cutting to allow the cheese to set
NotesI hosted a pumpkin pizza feast at my apartment one Sunday. This was one of the resulting Pizzas... Seemed to be the Favorite of the crowd.
The Puree from this recipe makes enough for 2 12 inch pizzas