Pumpkin Bread from the 70's
1 1.4 cup sugar
1/2 cup oil
3/4 cup pumpkin
1/4 cup applesauce
2 cup sifted flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ginger
1/3 cup chopped walnuts or raisins
1/3 cup water
Preheat over to 350'
Combine sugar and oil in large bowl; stir well
Using fluffy beater, beat eggs in medium bowl
Add pumpkin and applesauce to egg mixture
Sift flour; measure dry ingredients (except walnuts). Resift all dry ingredients three times.
Add walnuts or raisins to dry ingredients.
Starting with the dry ingredients, alternately add dry ingredients and water to the creamed mixture. Be sure to start and end with the dry ingredients.
Grease and flour 4 or 5 soup cans. Be sure the tops of the cans are smooth and have no rough edges.
Bake for approx. 45 minutes or until top of bread springs back when lightly touched with your finger tip.
Pairs Well With
Oh my goodness, I can't believe I still have this recipe!! Back when I was in 7th grade I took a 10 week cooking class that was part of a "wheel". 10 weeks cooking, 10 weeks, sewing, 10 weeks agriculture, and 10 weeks drama (as if us girls need to LEARN about drama! LOL). Well, maybe that class was a prelude to play productions. Anyway, we made pumpkin bread in the cooking class and I still have the original flyer that came home with the recipe on it. We got to bring home the bread we made for Thanksgiving along with the recipe! Underneath the recipe is a "quiz". I wonder if I was suppose to do the quiz and turn it in...oops. Let see if you know the answers:
1. Nut breads should stand about _________ before taking out, to help prevent the tops from _________.
2. The _________ of nut breads improve when they are a couple of days old.
3. Nut breads slice _________ if they are cold or partially frozen.
4. Fruit breads freeze well but will keep in the refrigerator at least _________ week.
5. Pumpkins are high in vitamin _________.
6. Walnuts are high in the nutrient _________.
7. Raisins are high in the nutrient _________.
8. Instead of walnuts you can substitute _________.
9. Nut breads are especially good when spread with _________ or _________.
10. A good time to serve nut bread is at lunch with a _________.