- Cooking Time: 55
- Preparation Time:
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- Pecan halves
- Brown Butter Icing:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup sifted confectioner's sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 9-by-2-inch round cake pan. Line pan with parchment, and butter the parchment. Coat pan with flour, and tap out any excess.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, salt, baking powder, and baking soda; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat sugar and butter together until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add eggs, and beat until combined.
- Add pumpkin puree and milk; beat until combined. Add reserved flour mixture; beat on low speed until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, and bake until a cake tester inserted into the middle comes out clean, about 55 minutes.
- Transfer the cake to a wire rack to cool. Let cake rest 20 minutes.
- Unmold cake. Using an offset spatula, spread icing over top of cake, and decorate with pecan halves.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat until nut-brown in color, about 10 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat, and pour butter into a bowl, leaving any burned sediment behind.
- Add sugar, vanilla, and 1 tablespoon milk; stir until smooth.
- If the icing is too thick, add the remaining tablespoon milk, a little at a time, until consistency is spreadable.
- Let cool 5 minutes. Use immediately.
NotesThis is a modified Martha Stewart recipe. It's moist but not overly sweet - great with a cup of coffee the morning after Thanksgiving.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Gluten-Free - Making do with what you got!
Get Back in the Kitchen! Easy Healthy Meals for the Non-Chef by Kathy and Andrew JudsonSee More
Grandma Helen's Amazing Kolaches
Lemon Cucumber Tofu Salad
POTATO FRITTERSSee More