- Cooking Time: 55
- Preparation Time:
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- Pecan halves
- Brown Butter Icing:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup sifted confectioner's sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 9-by-2-inch round cake pan. Line pan with parchment, and butter the parchment. Coat pan with flour, and tap out any excess.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, salt, baking powder, and baking soda; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat sugar and butter together until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add eggs, and beat until combined.
- Add pumpkin puree and milk; beat until combined. Add reserved flour mixture; beat on low speed until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, and bake until a cake tester inserted into the middle comes out clean, about 55 minutes.
- Transfer the cake to a wire rack to cool. Let cake rest 20 minutes.
- Unmold cake. Using an offset spatula, spread icing over top of cake, and decorate with pecan halves.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat until nut-brown in color, about 10 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat, and pour butter into a bowl, leaving any burned sediment behind.
- Add sugar, vanilla, and 1 tablespoon milk; stir until smooth.
- If the icing is too thick, add the remaining tablespoon milk, a little at a time, until consistency is spreadable.
- Let cool 5 minutes. Use immediately.
NotesThis is a modified Martha Stewart recipe. It's moist but not overly sweet - great with a cup of coffee the morning after Thanksgiving.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
MY KIDS REALLY EAT THIS! Turner Parents Cookbook 2013
Angel Acres Christmas Dinner Cookbook!
MetroCooking DC 2013See More
Surprise Birthday Cake
Citrus Pork Roast
Paula's Pecan ChickenSee More