- Cooking Time: 35
- Servings: 24
- Preparation Time: 5
- 1/2 cup toasted pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup dark corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin or apple pie spice
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 2/3 cup canned pumpkin puree, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Special equipment: Candy thermometer
- Line an 8 by 4 inch loaf pan with waxed paper or aluminum foil.
- Brush the sides, but not the bottom lightly with butter and sprinkle the pumpkin seeds in the bottom.
- Whisk the maple syrup, brown sugar, cream, corn syrup, pie spice, lemon juice, and salt together in a heavy bottomed medium saucepan.
- Brush down the sides on the saucepan with water to remove every grain of sugar.
- Set the candy thermometer into the sugar.
- Cook the mixture over medium heat, without stirring, until the mixture reaches the firm ball stage, 248 degrees F, about 18 to 20 minutes.
- Carefully stir in the pumpkin puree.
- Return to the heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until the caramel reaches the soft ball stage, 240 degrees F, about 15 minutes more.
- Remove from the heat and stir in butter and vanilla.
- Pour the caramel over the pumpkin seeds in the prepared pan. Smooth to an even layer. Cool to room temperature.
- When fully cooled peel from the waxed paper or foil and cut into 24 (1-inch) squares. Wrap individually in parchment or waxed paper and store in an airtight container for up to a week.
- Recipe Summary
- Difficulty: Medium
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 24 candies
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Breads and Pastry 101
Driscoll's Berry Desserts
MetroCooking DC 2013See More
Carmelized Banana Tart (Land O Lakes)
Betty Crocker Ooey Gooey Pumpkin Caramel Cupcakes
Chinese Chicken WingsSee More