- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryPumpkins are such a hot ingredient in the kitchen these days. It's no wonder since cans of pumpkin are showing up at grocery stores this time of year. Most folks will grab them to make something sweet, such as a pie, cookies, cake or some delicious fall inspired dessert. But don't forget canned pumpkin is just as delicious to use in savory recipes too! This amazing Pumpkin Chili will now be in my fall recipe rotation for years to come. I love how pumpkin adds such a delicate sweetness to the southwestern flavors of this hearty chili...
This recipe comes from Christine of Christine's Kitchen Chronicles, who was skeptical about the combination of pumpkin and ground turkey. I'll admit, I was skeptical as well but that was soon forgotten once I tried this dish. It's a chili that's perfect for fall and it's brimming with flavors, textures and colors. With the colorful bell peppers, kidney and black beans, and sweet corn all in the mix, the pumpkin lends subtle sweet notes and is delicious with ground turkey. You could also use ground chicken if you prefer. To serve, you can't forget a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of chopped fresh cilantro!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 2 14.5oz can diced tomatoes with jalepenos
- 1 14.5oz can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 14.5oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 2 cups (1 14.5 ounce can) pumpkin puree
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- cayenne pepper to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- For serving:
- fresh cilantro
- shredded Cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Saute the onion, green bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, and garlic until tender, about 10 minutes.
- When done, transfer mixture to a slow cooker.
- In the same skillet over medium high heat, add 1 tablespoon oil. When oil starts to shimmer, crumble in ground turkey, and brown, about 10 minutes. When done, transfer mixture into slow cooker.
- Add the tomatoes, beans, pumpkin, and corn. Season with chili powder, cumin, pepper, salt, and cayenne.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on high for 4-6 hours or low for 6-8 hours.
- To serve, garnish with chopped fresh cilantro, shredded cheese and sour cream, all to your tastes.