- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup light cream
- 1/8 cup light brown sugar
- 1/8 cup sugar, plus 4 teaspoons
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup mashed cooked pumpkin
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Arrange 4 (1/2-cup) ramekins or custard cups in a large metal baking pan.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the cream, brown sugar, and 1/8 cup granulated sugar. Bring to a bare simmer over medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Remove from the heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks until frothy and lemon-colored. Slowly add half of the hot cream mixture, whisking constantly. Add the egg mixture to the remaining hot cream, and whisk. Add the vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and pumpkin, and whisk until smooth. Strain through a fine mesh strainer into a large bowl. Divide among the prepared custard cups.
- Add enough hot water to come halfway up the sides of the cups. Bake until the custards are just set in the center but not stiff, 45 minutes to 55 minutes. Remove from the oven and refrigerate until well chilled, at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Sprinkle each custard with 1/2 teaspoon of the remaining sugar. Using a kitchen torch, caramelize the sugar. (Alternately, preheat the broiler, and broil until the sugar melts and caramelizes, watching closely to avoid burning and rotating the cups, about 1 to 2 minutes.) Place on small dessert plates and serve.
- Read more about this recipe at my food blog ErinCooks.com
NotesLike many of you, my Creme Brulee obsession stems from the movie Amelie. Who can forget that gorgeous scene where Audrey Tautou's character cracks the caramelized top of her dessert while declaring it one of life's simple pleasures? To that end, if there is Creme Brulee to be found on a menu I always order it.
Pumpkin Creme Brulee (Based on the recipe originally published by Emeril Lagasse)
Makes 4 half cup desserts
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Angel Acres Holiday Dessert Cookbook
Cupcake Wars Winning Blueberry Pancake Cupcake Recipe
Cooking On The Weekends - For The Love of Food!See More
pistachio cranberry icebox cookies
Teeny Tiny Italian Meat-loaves
Mom's Holiday Stove Top StuffingSee More