- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 3 large eggs, beaten to blend
- 2/3 cup solid pack pumpkin (I use Libbey's)
- 2 Tbsp. powdered sugar
- 1-8oz pkg cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1 Tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Butter a 13x9x5/8-inch jelly roll pan. (For those of you not knowing what a jelly roll pan is, it is an "old-fashioned" cookie sheet, with edges, you need the "edges" to make this.)
- Line pan with wax paper (or parchment paper),then butter the wax paper.
- Mix first 5 ingredients in a large bowl.
- Mix in eggs and pumpkin.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, spreading evenly. (batter will be thin in the pan).
- Bake until tester inserted into center of cake comes out clean, about 15 minutes.
- Lay a clean dishtowel on counter top, sprinkle with 2 Tbsp. powdered sugar.
- Using pot holders, turn out warm cake onto the sugared dishtowel with the waxed paper side up. Leave the waxed paper on it.
- Fold one side (lengthwise) of towel over 1 long side of cake, then roll up cake jellyroll style.
- Refrigerate to cool.
- Combine cream cheese, 1 cup powdered sugar, butter and vanilla in medium bowl; beat to blend.
- Un-roll cake, leave on towel.
- Peel off wax paper.
- Spread cream cheese mixture evenly over cake, leaving 1/2 inch on all sides.
- Leaving the towel on the counter, roll up only the cake and place it seam side down on serving platter. Trim ends of cake.
- Dust cake with powdered sugar. Cover and refrigerate.
- Cut cake crosswise into 1-inch thick slices and serve.
- Makes: 10-12 servings.
- Note: This cake can be made one day in advance, then refrigerate until serving
NotesThis recipe came from my German Grandmother 38 years ago. I know it is now available online by Bon Appetit, but oringinally, who knows where it started started!
This is a rolled pumpkin cake filled with a cream cheese mixture. It is scrumptious! I've been baking this recipe for over 30 years, not only for my family's Thanksgiving, but also at the request of co-workers and friends who pay me to make it for their Thanksgving dinners. Don't be alarmed at the directions, it sounds harder than it is to make it. You (and your family) will love it!