PUMPKIN PIE RICE PUDDING
- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time:
- 1/2 cup rice, medium grain
- 4 cups skim milk
- 1/2 cup splenda brown sugar blend, not packed (or 3/4 cup brown sugar)
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- Stir together rice, water, milk and sugar in a medium, heavy saucepan. Stir continuously until the mixture begins to rapidly bubble - do not bring to a full boil. Lower the heat to a simmer and stir in the pumpkin pie spice.
- Stirring almost constantly, let the rice bubble gently for 30 to 40 minutes. The original recipe says to stir occasionally but I found that you can easily lose control of the bubbling dairy if you aren’t paying attention. The pudding will be thick and the rice plump and fully cooked after about 30 minutes. Stir in the pumpkin and vanilla extract and for a couple minutes, still stirring. (the pumpkin needs to actually cook a few minutes or it retains a kind of bitter taste) Remove from heat.
- Toast pecans pieces in a 350F oven for about 6 minutes, allow to cool.
- After the pudding has cooled a little dish pudding into bowls. Sprinkle with 1 tbsp pecan pieces when ready to serve.
NotesI found a recipe recently on the NPR site for Pumpkin Pie Risotto with Candied Pecans. It looked good. I looked gosh darn good. It looked fattening and bound to raise my blood sugar. Something had to be done about that.
So, since I am totally unafraid of risotto, I set out to make my own version with less fat and a whole lot less sugar.
Calories per serving: 288