- Cooking spray
- 4 cups water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup stone-ground cornmeal (not instant or
- pre-cooked polenta)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked pumpkin, coarsely mashed
- 1/4 cup sour cream or heavy cream
- 1⁄8 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup shredded Gruyère or Jarlsberg cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Generously coat a 3-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Combine water, salt and cornmeal in dish,
mixing well (the mixture will separate). Bake, uncovered, 40 minutes. Remove from oven; stir in pumpkin, sour cream, pepper, nutmeg and half the cheeses. Bake 10 minutes.
3. Remove from oven, top with remaining cheese, and place under the broiler for a few minutes, until top is brown and bubbly. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Serves 6.
Recipe by Crescent Dragonwagon, Relish the Season, "From Patch to Pan," October 2007.
Per serving: 200 calories, 10g fat, 10g prot., 17g carbs., 2g fiber, 760mg sodium.
To cook the pumpkin, cut in half, scoop out seeds, and place cut side down in a pan of water. Bake at 400F until tender. Scoop out pulp with a spoon and cut into chunks (or mash); discard skin.