PUMPKIN PRALINE CAKE
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 box yellow cake mix (Betty Crocker Super Moist is good)
- 1 cup (from 15-oz can) pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 container (1 lb) cream cheese frosting (Betty Crocker Rich and Creamy)
- Caramel topping, if desired
- Additional coarsely chopped pecans, if desired
Heat oven to 325°F.
In 1-quart heavy saucepan, stir together butter, whipping cream and brown sugar.
Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, just until butter is melted.
Pour into 2 (9- or 8-inch) round cake pans; sprinkle evenly with 3/4 cup pecans.
In large bowl, beat cake mix, pumpkin, water, oil, eggs and 1 teaspoon of the pumpkin pie spice with electric mixer on low speed until moistened.
Beat 2 minutes on medium speed.
Carefully spoon batter over pecan mixture in each pan.
3. Bake 43 to 45 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly in center.
Cool 5 minutes; remove from pans to cooling rack.
Cool completely, about 1 hour.
Stir remaining 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice into frosting.
To assemble cake, place 1 layer, praline side up, on serving plate.
Spread with half of the frosting.
Top with second layer, praline side up; spread remaining frosting to edge of layer.
Drizzle with caramel topping and additional pecans.
Store loosely covered in refrigerator.