- Cooking Time: 20
- Preparation Time:
- 6 Tbsp. half and half
- 1 cinnamon stick or a couple good shakes cinnamon
- dash of cloves
- dash of nutmeg
- 1 egg yolk
- 5 tsp. sugar, divided
- 2 tsp. flour
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 egg whites
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and grease 4 (or 3) 4 oz. ramekins or 2 6 or 8 oz. ramekins.
- In a small sauce pan, bring half and half and half, cinnamon, cloves & nutmeg to a boil. Remove the pan from heat, cover and let it steep for about 10-15 minutes. Strain, and discard cinnamon.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolk and 2.5 tsp of sugar. Whisk in the flour until well combined.
- (Scary part number 1) Gradually add the hot milk to the egg yolk mixture and whisk continually so it doesn't curdle.
- (Scary part number 2) Add the mixture to the saucepan over medium heat. Cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture thickens and can coat the back of a spoon (about 2 minutes).
- Transfer mixture to a bowl and stir in the pumpkin puree.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Add in remaining 2 1/2 tsp sugar and continue to beat with a mixer until the egg whites form stiff peaks. Don't overmix and dry out.
- Fold 1/3 of the egg white mixture at a time into the pumpkin/yolk mixture, being careful not to deflate.
- Spoon mixture into prepared rameskins and place them in a pan/dish. Pour hot water into the dish, coming up about 1 inch on the ramekins.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until souffles have risen and tops have become browned.
- Top with powdered sugar and/or whipped cream, if desired. Serve immediately.
NotesThis came about when I was looking for a way to use up just a bit of extra pumpkin. They turned out so light and flavorful. Like an airy pumpkin pie filling.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Holidays = Desserts = Happiness
Gluten-Free and Delicious
Brownies: Baking Outside the BoxSee More
Dark chocolate truffle tart with flax seeds
Khatta Meetha Karela
Roasted Butternut Squash SoupSee More