- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1-3/4 cups milk
- 1 cup canned pumpkin or mashed, cooked pumpkin
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel (optional)
- 2 egg whites
- 1 recipe Cider-Honey Syrup (optional)
- 1. In a large bowl, stir together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, nutmeg, and ginger; set aside.
- 2. In a medium bowl, combine milk, pumpkin, egg yolks, butter, and, if desired, orange peel. Add pumpkin mixture all at once to flour mixture; stir just until combined (batter should be lumpy).
- 3. In a small bowl, beat egg whites with an electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Gently fold beaten egg whites into pumpkin mixture, leaving a few puffs of egg white.
- 4. Heat a lightly greased waffle baker. Pour some of the batter onto the waffle grids. Close lid quickly; do not open until done. Bake according to manufacturer?s directions. When done, use a fork to lift waffle off grids. Repeat with remaining batter.
- 5. Serve waffles immediately or keep warm in a loosely covered ovenproof dish in a 300 degree F oven. If desired, serve with Cider-Honey Syrup. Makes 16 (4-inch) waffles.
- Cider-Honey Syrup: In a small saucepan, combine 1 cup apple cider or apple juice and 1 cup honey. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes or until slightly thickened. Serve warm. Cover and store any remaining syrup in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Makes about 1 cup.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Driscoll's Berry Desserts
Easy Homemade Salad Dressings
Simple Homemade FavoritesSee More
Calzone de Gen aux épinards (ou bette à carde/chou frisé)
Chocolate Drizzled Lemon and Almond BiscottiSee More