- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1-3/4 cups milk
- 1 cup canned pumpkin or mashed, cooked pumpkin
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel (optional)
- 2 egg whites
- 1 recipe Cider-Honey Syrup (optional)
- 1. In a large bowl, stir together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, nutmeg, and ginger; set aside.
- 2. In a medium bowl, combine milk, pumpkin, egg yolks, butter, and, if desired, orange peel. Add pumpkin mixture all at once to flour mixture; stir just until combined (batter should be lumpy).
- 3. In a small bowl, beat egg whites with an electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Gently fold beaten egg whites into pumpkin mixture, leaving a few puffs of egg white.
- 4. Heat a lightly greased waffle baker. Pour some of the batter onto the waffle grids. Close lid quickly; do not open until done. Bake according to manufacturer?s directions. When done, use a fork to lift waffle off grids. Repeat with remaining batter.
- 5. Serve waffles immediately or keep warm in a loosely covered ovenproof dish in a 300 degree F oven. If desired, serve with Cider-Honey Syrup. Makes 16 (4-inch) waffles.
- Cider-Honey Syrup: In a small saucepan, combine 1 cup apple cider or apple juice and 1 cup honey. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes or until slightly thickened. Serve warm. Cover and store any remaining syrup in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Makes about 1 cup.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cupcakes from Food Network's Cupcake Wars winner, Annette Starbuck
The Italian Exchange
Julie Tries ... Her Friends' RecipesSee More
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies
Peanut Butter Chocolate and Banana Chip Cookies
NO-BAKE CHEESECAKE PETIT FOURSSee More