- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 package dry yeast (about 1 1/8 teaspoons)
- 1 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3/8 cup warm fat-free milk (105° to 115°)
- 2 1/2 cups bread flour, divided
- 1/8 cup stick margarine or butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 large egg (Note: Just scramble one egg in a dish and pour half into your recipe)
- Cooking spray
- Combine the pumpkin and vanilla extract, and set aside.
- Dissolve yeast and sugar in milk in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife.
- Add 1 cup flour, pumpkin mixture, margarine, salt, vinegar, nutmeg, and egg to yeast mixture; beat at medium speed of a mixer until smooth. Stir in 1 cups flour to form a sticky dough. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough until smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes); add enough of remaining flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands.
- Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top.
- Cover dough, and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
- Coat muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Punch dough down.
- Divide into 12 equal pieces; shape each piece into a ball.
- Place 1 ball in each muffin cup. Cover and let rise 30 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Uncover dough; bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Remove from pans; cool on wire racks.
- Read more about this recipe at my food blog ErinCooks.com
NotesWhen these rolls came out of the oven and I tasted the first one sandwiched with a little butter I almost did a cartwheel. Finally, I’d made a recipe with yeast that actually tasted good!
Pumpkin Yeast Rolls (Originally published in the December 1998 edition of Cooking Light magazine. I halved the recipe as outlined below.)
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
My Family Cookbook
Brownies: Baking Outside the Box
The Best of GlutenFreeHappyTummy!See More
Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
Carrot cupcakes or muffensSee More