- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 pie pumpkin, peeled, seeded, and cubed
- 1 large sweet onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup white wine
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 bunch sage, chopped
- 1 pound medium Italian sausage
- 1/2 pound cremini mushrooms, cleaned
- Sweat the onion in olive oil and butter in a large Dutch oven over medium low heat until softened. Add the pumpkin, wine, stock, turmeric, rice and seasonings and bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer gently about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally so rice doesn't stick. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, sliced the mushrooms and remove sausage from it's casing. Heat a medium saute pan over medium high heat. Crumble the sausage into the pan, add the mushrooms and cook over medium high heat for several minutes or until sausage is cooked through and mushrooms begin to brown. Remove from heat.
- Puree the pumpkin mixture with a stick blender until smooth. Stir in sausage mixture and taste, add more salt and pepper if needed. Stir in all but about 2 tablespoons of sage. Sprinkle remaining sage on top as garnish. Serve with hot crusty bread.
NotesFall never tasted so good. Perfect for those chilly October nights, this soup is deliciously filling. Roast the seeds for a crunchy garnish. Use vegetable stocks and leave out the sausage to go vegetarian.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Shrimp Recipes That Bubba Would Love (inspired by the movie Forrest Gump)
Gonzalez Family~Established 8.8.14
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie ChallengeSee More
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies
Peanut Butter Chocolate and Banana Chip Cookies
NO-BAKE CHEESECAKE PETIT FOURSSee More