- Cooking Time: 30
- Servings: 2-4
- Preparation Time: 10
- For the salad:
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 1 small pumpkin
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 cup baby portobello mushrooms
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- For the dressing:
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp. dried mustard
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Cut the pumpkin into big bite-sized pieces, removing the skin and inner seeds and strings. Spread out on a sheet pan and sprinkle with a little salt, pepper, and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Roast on a sheet pan in the oven at 450 degrees for about 30 minutes until tender. Meanwhile, chop up the onion and mushrooms into a small dice and sauté in a pan with the other tablespoon of olive oil for about 10 minutes over medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Chop up the romaine lettuce leaves and spread out on a big plate or platter. Spread out the mushrooms and onions on top. When the pumpkin is done roasting, place the pieces on top of the salad and sprinkle pine nuts on top.
- Mix up the dressing by placing all the ingredients in a bowl and whisking fast until it comes together. You may want to warm the honey first to make it easier to mix. Pour a little dressing on top of the salad, reserving leftovers for anyone who wants more. Serve warm.
- Tip: If you like this recipe, try my other warm winter-friendly salad, Butternut Squash & Pecan Salad.
NotesA few weeks back I made this simple pumpkin salad with warm onions and mushrooms. Toasted pine nuts and fresh romaine lettuce give it a healthy crunch, and the honey vinaigrette makes it a little sweet. Pumpkin is not for everyone, so you can always swap it out with another winter squash such as butternut or acorn squash.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Desperate Housewives: Juicy Dishes & Saucy Bites
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 2 Desserts and Cakes
Italy or BustSee More
Thigh and Drumstick Cacciatore
Grilled Chicken and Orange Skewers
Chocolate PavlovaSee More