- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 cups Puttanesca Sauce
- 2 cans diced tomato with juice
- 1/2 medium or 1 small eggplant, chopped
- 1 medium/large yellow squash, chopped
- 1 medium/large zucchini, chopped
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 can (11 oz) evaporated skim milk
- In a large saute pan, heat a little olive oil.
- Add squash and zucchini and cook 5 minutes.
- Add eggplant and cook until all vegetables are tender.
- Transfer half of the vegetables into a blender or food processor and add 1/2 cup Putanesca sauce.
- Blend until combined (I like mine a little bit chunky, but you can puree it).
- Pour into a large sauce pan.
- Repeat with the rest of the veetables.
- Add milk to the puree and turn heat to medium.
- Add garlic, salt and pepper, cayenne, red pepper flakes, and half of the cilantro.
- Bring to a boil and reduce to low heat.
- Simmer 5 to 7 minutes.
- Serve with remaining cilantro as garnish.
NotesI love this versatile and hearty vegetable soup. I like to make big batches of this and the Puttanesca Sauce side by side to make it easy, then I freeze anything that is leftover. You can use whatever vegetables you have on hand, even the cooked leftovers in your fridge! The cilantro can be swapped for basil or parsley, anything you have is ok; it will work! It can also be made vegan by subbing 1 cup of vegetable stock for the evaporated milk.