- Cooking Time: 2 1/2 hours
- Servings: 4 to 6
- Preparation Time: 25 minutes
- 1/2 T. butter
- Extra Virgin Olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and cut in 1/2 in dice
- 1 cup cauliflower, chopped small
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 large carrots peeled and cut in 1/2 inch dice
- 2 celery ribs, cut in 1/2 in dice
- 6 large cloves garlic, smashed, divided
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cans chick peas drained
- Kosher salt
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 4 oz. Pancetta diced
- 1 bundle of fresh thyme
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 quart water
- 3 sprigs rosemary, leaves finely chopped
- 5 to 6 (1/1 inch) slices Tuscan style bread, cut into 1/2 in cubes.
- Cover the bottom of a Dutch oven with olive oil and butter, saute pancetta till it becomes crispy.
- Add cauliflower and potatoes, cook 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add onions celery, carrots, 3 cloves of garlic, pinch of crushed red pepper and season lightly with salt.
- Sweat the vegetables for 6 to 7 minutes or until they become aromatic and start to soften.
- Add chick peas, chicken stock, thyme bundle, bay leaves and 1 quart of water.
- Bring the liquid to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat and simmer until the chickpeas are very soft and falling apart, about 1 and 1/2 hours.
- Turn off the heat.
- Fill as skillet with olive oil until it is about 1/2 inch deep, and the remaining 3 garlic cloves, the rosemary leave and a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes over medium heat.
- Remove the garlic once it is golden.
- Add the bread cubes and cook until they start to become crispy and brown.
- Season with salt and remove the croutons from the oil to a bowl reserving re rosemary oil.
- Add the infused oil to the soup.
- Puree the soup in a food processor, or blender.
- Correct the consistency and seasoning, if necessary.
- It the soup is too thick, cook it a little more to reduce it, or thin it by adding more stock or water.
- Ladle the soup into serving bowls, top with croutons and finish with a drizzle of olive oil.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Naked Macaron
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 1 Mains and Appetisers
NFPG Recipe CollectionSee More
Roasted Pepper Potato Soup
Oven Crispy FriesSee More