- Cooking Time: 30-35 minutes
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryReprinted from Celi-Yak News Spring 2013
CHRISTMAS 2012 POTLUCK RECIPE
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup diced onion
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- ¼ tsp salt cup ricotta cheese
- 2 cups sliced white button mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 tsp basil pesto (I used about a Tbsp for a bit more flavor)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ light sour cream
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- More shredded cheddar cheese for topping if you want it
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Spray with cooking oil or grease a 13X9 inch casserole dish.
- Bring the quinoa and water to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Turn the heat off and leave the covered pot on the burner for an additional 6 minutes.
- Remove the lid and fluff with a fork. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large pot or frying pan.
- Add the onion and cook until soft and opaque, about 5 minutes. Stir in the broccoli, salt 2 Tbsp water. Saute for 2 minutes, then add mushrooms, red pepper and pesto.
- Cook until mushrooms are softened.
- Remove from heat and stir in quinoa.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl and stir in cheddar cheese, ricotta and sour cream. Mix well. Season with pepper and fold into quinoa-vegetable mixture. Spread into the prepared casserole dish and top with shredded cheddar cheese if desired.
- Bake on the center oven rack for 30 to 35 minutes.