- 4 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup cooked, crumbled bacon
- 1 cup diced onion
- 4 cup hot water
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp seasoning salt
- 1 cup chopped green onion
- 1 tsp ground white pepper
- 6 quail
- 1 lb link sausage, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 Tbsp gumbo file
- cooked brown or white rice
1 Combine flour and grease in a heavy skillet.
2 Cook, stirring constantly until roux is the color of a new penny.
3 Transfer roux into a stockpot.
4 Add bacon and diced onion.
5 Cook until diced onion is soft.
6 Stir in water, parsley, dry mustard, seasoning salt, green onion and white pepper.
7 Add quail.
8 Simmer 1 hour.
9 In a skillet, brown sausage and drain well.
10 Remove quail, debone and cut into bite-size pieces.
11 Return quail pieces to liquid.
12 Add sausage.
13 Prior to serving, stir in gumbo file.
14 Serve in bowls over cooked rice.