Quiche Lorraine Pizza
½ batch Basic Pizza Dough (http://www.browneyedbaker.com/2008/06/24/basic-pizza-dough/)
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
1 leek (white and light green part only), thinly sliced
6 slices bacon, cooked and roughly chopped
8 ounces Swiss-style cheese, shredded (about 2 cups)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Prepare the pizza dough to the point of letting it rest after it has risen. Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.
2. While you wait for the pizza dough to rest, melt 1 tablespoon of the unsalted butter in a skillet over medium heat and saute the sliced leeks. Season with salt and pepper and saute until they are soft, about 5-7 minutes. Set aside to cool.
3. Once the pizza dough is ready, shape it and place it on a pizza pan or peel (whatever your typical method is to make pizza at home). Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and brush it over the pizza crust. Top with the sauteed leeks, then scatter the bacon over the leeks. Top with the shredded cheese. Crack the eggs over the cheese (evenly spaced) and season the top of the pizza with freshly ground black pepper.
4. Transfer the dough to the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes, or until the crust is golden and the cheese is melted and starting to brown.
* Note 1: For detailed instructions on preparing homemade pizza dough, please see the recipe for Basic Pizza Dough (http://www.browneyedbaker.com/2008/06/24/basic-pizza-dough/).
* Note 2: If you bought a pre-made pizza shell or prepared dough, just pick up the instructions on step #2. Just be sure to use the oven temperature specified for the pizza shell or dough you are using, if given.
Pairs Well With
The brunch favorite meets a bread crust to make a fabulous gourmet pizza.