- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 240 grams pate brisee
- 50 grams bacon (lardon), cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 50 grams Gruyere, grated
- 125 milliliters milk
- 125 milliliters heavy cream
- 2 eggs
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Pinch of freshly ground pepper
- Roll out the dough into a circle approximately 10 inches in diameter and 1/8 inch thick
- Line a tart pan or ring with the dough and chill the shell
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Blind bake the tart shell in the preheated oven until light brown
- Cook the bacon in a little oil over low heat until the fat is rendered and the bacon is lightly browned. Remove the bacon, drain on paper towels, and set aside until needed.
- Prepare a custard with the milk, cream, eggs and seasonings.
- Strain the custard through a fine strainer.
- (alt step: also check the "walls" and lining of the tart shell and reinforce any weak looking areas with a thin layer of scrap brisee dough)
- Arrange the fried bacon and grated cheese in the cooled tart shell.
- Pour the custard over the bacon and cheese.
- Bake the quiche at 250 degrees F for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the custard is set and a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. Top should be of the lightest golden brown.
- Special tips:
- once the custard is in the shell, it must be baked immediately or the crust will soften
- do not overbake the custard, or the eggs will scramble and the custard will weep
- the custard in this recipe may be combined with a variety of ingredients to create variations of the traditional Quiche Lorraine
- use salt sparingly since both the bacon and cheese are salty
NotesIn my Essentials of Pastry class at the French Culinary Institute, we most recently made Quiche Lorraine & a Tarte Bourdaloue. Below is the recipe for the way (I now believe) quiche should really be done. Forget the spongy, overly-eggy american quiche you know, and replace it with this delicious, authentic version.
Yield: one 8-inch or 9-inch tart or four 4-inch tartlets
Sharing Christmas with Friends
Cooking with THE HOLMES SISTERS Volume 1 "As seen on 3ABN"
Special SmoothiesSee More
Vanilla Caramel Nut Ice Cream Pudding (with salted caramel and hot chocolate sauce)
Candy Cane Fudge
Pancit PalabokSee More