QUICK & EASY, SKILLET BLACK BEAN GARDEN CHILI
- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 1 large green pepper
- 1 small onion
- 1 poblano chili
- 2 cups halved cherry tomatoes (I used Black Cherry)
- 1 cup sweet white corn kernels
- 1 can black beans (canned including liquid)
- 2 tablespoons hot chili powder(1)
- Heat oil in small to medium cast iron skillet while chopping onion and green pepper into cubes. Sautee onion and green pepper until soft.
- Meanwhile, cut poblano into halves or quarters, core and seed. "Fire Roast" by placing poblano quarters skin side up in 500° F toaster oven for about 5 minutes or until blackened. Remove quarters (careful, they are hot) and drop into ice water to remove skin (or use the traditional method to fire roast the pepper.)
- Chop poblano and add to pan along with halved cherry tomatoes, corn, black beans, and liquid from can. Stir in chili powder. Note: the canned black beans that I used contained enough salt to adequately season the entire dish. No extra salt was needed. However, it may be added to taste.
- Warm, stirring gently and infrequently until the tomatoes soften. Serve with a garnish of Four Ingredient Cooling Cucumber Salsa and tortilla chips.
- Option: For a more smoky chili flavor, you may also 'fire roast' the green pepper and the corn.
- (1)The Spice House, Hot Chili Powder
- Nutritional Information -- Estimate only; not including garnishes. Servings: 3 hearty servings. Calories per serving: 237; Protein: 12 grams; Fat 3.5 grams; Carbohydrates: 43 grams; Fiber: 11 grams; Sodium: 28 mg*; Saturated Fat: less than 1 gram; Monounsaturated Fat: 1 gram; Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 gram; Cholesterol: 0. (Note: Sodium may change with canned bean product used.)
- These are my original recipes. Please do not copy, in any form, without written permission.
NotesOk, I'll admit it: I am a total chili head. What's better than spicy chili heat plus fresh produce from the garden?
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Austin Personal Training Recipes
Quick Breads, Muffins and Cakes...Oh My!
Food Travels Through ItalySee More
Smitten Million Dollar Peanut Butter CookiesSee More