- Cooking Time: 10
- Servings: 2
- Preparation Time: 5
- Slices of whole grain bread
- Canned (or fresh) artichoke hearts
- Red peppadew peppers
- Spicy hummus
- Fresh basil leaves
- Black pepper
- Olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- Sriracha hot sauce (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees. Cut enough slices of bread (about 2 per person) and spread them out on a sheet pan. Drizzle a thin stream of olive oil on both sides of each slice. Put the pan in the oven for about 5 minutes to lightly toast the bread. Remove the pan from the oven and cut your garlic clove in half. Rub the garlic on the bread then turn each slice over and rub the other sides. Spread a generous portion of hummus on top of each piece of toast, then top with fresh whole basil leaves. Cut the peppadews and artichoke hearts into slices (whatever size you like) and place them on top of the toasts. Sprinkle a little black pepper on top. Bake for another 5 minutes until the toasts are crispy and warm. Serve with a drizzle of Sriracha on top for a spicy kick.
- Tip: I found peppadew peppers (pictured below) in the Mediterranean/Olive bar at Whole Foods. You can also find them in the grocery store aisle near the other canned peppers, olives, and pickles. They are the perfect mixture of sweet with a hint of spice. If you can’t find peppadews, feel free to swap them out for roasted red peppers.
NotesLast night I made a quick appetizer that fits into the ever popular Mediterranean diet. In case you aren’t familiar with it, the Mediterranean diet is a diet rich in olive oil, beans, whole grains, fruits, vegetables, etc. It’s great for for your skin, it’s recommended by many doctors for the disease-fighting benefits, and it’s very satisfying to eat. Try out this simple Mediterranean appetizer on a weeknight It’s really easy, and there are no specific proportions or servings.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Thanksgiving With The Singing Vegan
Austin Personal Training Recipes
MetroCooking Texas 2013See More
Holey Moley Dark Mexican Chocolate Dulce De Leche Brownies
Sweet, Salty, Frito CandySee More