- Cooking Time: 1 hour
- Preparation Time: 30 min
- 3 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 1/4 cups of milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup raw berries (I used blueberries, but the original was cranberries)
- 3/4 cup walnut pieces (optional)
- 1. Mix the first five ingredients in one bowl.
- 2. Stir the eggs and sugar together in another bowl and add the melted butter slowly.
- 3. Add egg and sugar mixture to the milk and flour mixture. You should have a smooth batter.
- 4. Mix the berries and walnuts in very carefully so you don't break them up too much.
- 5. Heat the oven to 350F and grease the loaf pan.
- 6. Put the bread mixture into the loaf pan and bake for 1 hour. Don't worry if the top of the bread breaks. This tends to happen with quick breads.
- 7. If you can resist eating it right away, wrap the loaf in aluminum foil and let it sit overnight before eating it. Some people swear this is the way to bring out the best taste in the bread.
NotesI recently borrowed a bunch of books from the library. This one comes from "Loaves of Fun". a cookbook for kids. It was really easy to make and very delicious. The recipe recommends wrapping the bread in foil overnight. Apparently, that method sweetens the flavor. I tried this method and didn't really notice a difference. I think it tastes better warm! Also, I bought mini foil loaf pans so that I could share the love. It decreased the time by about 20 minutes. AND...make sure you spray the pan with non-stick spray.