Quick Cinnamon Biscuits (Moosewood Restaurant New Classics)
Cinnamon Sugar Mix:
1/4/c brown sugar, packed
2t ground cinnamon
1t ground nutmeg
2 1/2 c white flour
2T brown sugar, packed
2t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1 1/2 c + 1T heavy cream
3T powdered sugar
2-3 t milk
1. Preheat oven to 400
2. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
3. In large bowl, stir together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add 1 1/2 c of the cream and stir briskly until dough forms a ball, about 1 minute. with your hands, fold dough over a few times in bowl, until all loose bits are incorporated and dough is smooth.
4. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Lightly flour hands and gently pat dough onto 1/2" thick rectangle ~ 9x13 inches. Brush surface of dough with remaining tablespoon of cream. Sprinkle evenly with cinnamon sugar mix.
5. Starting from long side, foll dough into cylinder. slice into 9 equal rounds. Place biscuit rounds, cut side down, in unoiled 8" square baking dish or pie plate. Bake for ~30 minutes, until biscuits lightly browned.
6. While biscuits bake, prepare icing. Mix together confectioners' sugar and milk or cream until smooth. when you remove the biscuits from oven, immediately drizzle with icing. Serve warm.