- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThis is a recipe I used to cook all the time, back in the days when I had time. It's easy and quick and yummy, too. You can also substitue the ham and sausages for meat or poultry, or even more vegetables. Hope you enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 2 cans red kidney beans, drained
- 1/2 cup diced ham (optional)
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- Pinch of dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper (or to taste)
- salt and black pepper to taste
- red pepper sauce to taste
- 2 smoked Andouille sauseges browned and sliced into coins (optional)
- n a medium sized heavy pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, celary and garlic. Cook the vegetables until soft, stirring occasionally (about 10 minutes).
- Add the beans, ham, (if using) stock, herbs and spices and simmer for 30 minutes. Add salt and pepper sauce and adjust seasonings. With a potato masher, smash the beans so you have a thicker mixture with some whole beans remaining.
- Serve over plain white rice topped with Andouille sausage, if that's your thing. :)