QUINOA, SPINACH AND WALNUT STIR FRY
Quinoa, Spinach And Walnut Stir Fry
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water (I use combo chicken broth and water)
- 5 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup walnut pieces, toasted
- ½ cup freshly grated
- Parmesan cheese
- Basil leaves
1. Place quinoa in small bowl, add water to cover, and swish to rinse. Pour into fine mesh strainer and drain well.
2. Heat oil in large skillet. Add quinoa. Cook, stirring, over medium heat until golden, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add salt and 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook over medium-low until water is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
3. Add spinach and tomatoes. Cook over medium heat until spinach is almost wilted and tomatoes are warmed, about 1 minute. Stir in walnuts and cheese. Garnish with basil leaves. Serves 4.
Recipe courtesy of Health Barn USA, Relish Cooking with kids, April 2008.
Per serving: 360 calories, 19g fat, 37mg chol, 13g prot., 37g carbs., 6g fiber, 510mg sodium
My mother harvested her first batch of basil this weekend, so I took that with the walnuts I had for this recipe and made pesto. Instead of adding the walnuts, cheese and basil whole, I just added some pesto after the water (and broth) were absorbed. Made the dish slightly gooey but still really good and fresh tasting.