QUINOA, SPINACH AND WALNUT STIR FRY
- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water (I use combo chicken broth and water)
- 5 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup walnut pieces, toasted
- ½ cup freshly grated
- Parmesan cheese
- Basil leaves
- 1. Place quinoa in small bowl, add water to cover, and swish to rinse. Pour into fine mesh strainer and drain well.
- 2. Heat oil in large skillet. Add quinoa. Cook, stirring, over medium heat until golden, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add salt and 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook over medium-low until water is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- 3. Add spinach and tomatoes. Cook over medium heat until spinach is almost wilted and tomatoes are warmed, about 1 minute. Stir in walnuts and cheese. Garnish with basil leaves. Serves 4.
- Recipe courtesy of Health Barn USA, Relish Cooking with kids, April 2008.
- Nutritional Information
- Per serving: 360 calories, 19g fat, 37mg chol, 13g prot., 37g carbs., 6g fiber, 510mg sodium
NotesQuinoa "keen-wa" is a highly nutritous grain, with protein, fiber (very filling), and vitamins and minerals. It cooks up much like couscous. I have had some problem finding it at Kroger. Have to get it at the ritzy grocery.
My mother harvested her first batch of basil this weekend, so I took that with the walnuts I had for this recipe and made pesto. Instead of adding the walnuts, cheese and basil whole, I just added some pesto after the water (and broth) were absorbed. Made the dish slightly gooey but still really good and fresh tasting.