- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time:
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tbsp dried oregano, crumbled
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless skinless, halved crosswise
- For Quinoa:
- 1 Sausage, skin discarded and cut in 1/4 inch slices
- (Use Chorizo, or Italian Sausage if you have problems getting the Chorizo)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can diced tomatoes, drained (keep sauce)
- 6 oz beer (not dark)
- 3/4 cup low sodium or homemade chicken broth
- 1 cup Quinoa (rinsed)
- 1/4 cup pimiento
- 1/2 roasted red pepper, cut in strips
- Marinate chicken: Mince and mash garlic to paste, stir into vinegar and oregano, then transfer to a large plastic zip lock bag.
- Toss the chicken in with marinade and close bag, emptying as much air as possible. Marinate chilled at least 1 to 2 hours.
- Cook chicken and Quinoa: Cook the sausage in olive oil in a heavy pot over medium high heat, stirring until some fat is rendered, 2 to 3 minutes. Add onions, bell pepper and garlic and cook, stirring until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add cumin, oregano, paprika, and bay leaf and cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- Add chicken with marinade to sausage mixture and cook, uncovered, over medium heat, stirring frequently, 10 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, beer, broth and Quinoa and bring to a boil, making sure the Quinoa is submerged. Use more broth if necessary.
- Reduce the heat to medium low, then cover mixture directly with a round of parchment paper and cover pot with a tight fitting lid.
- Cook, stirring once or twice, until Quinoa is tender, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand, covered, 5 minutes. Discard parchment paper and bay leaf, then scatter pimiento or roasted red pepper strips over top.
NotesThis recipe is adapted from a Gourmet Magazine recipe for Arroz Con Pollo
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Fun appetizers and snacks
Angel Acres Holiday Dessert Cookbook
Gluten-Free - Making do with what you got!See More
Holey Moley Dark Mexican Chocolate Dulce De Leche Brownies
Sweet, Salty, Frito CandySee More