- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup of quinoa, thoroughly rinsed, plus liquid for cooking
- 2 TB olive oil
- 1 TB butter
- 1 /2 tsp coriander seed
- 1/2 tsp cardamon powder
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup diced mushrooms
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced (unless you like it hot)
- 1 can black eyed peas, draining and rinsed
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Fresh lemon juice to garnish
- Cilantro to garnish
- Cooking the quinoa. I soaked it in water first, for about an hour...although from what I've read, 15 minutes is fine too. Or...just use a higher water to quinoa ration when cooking (1 cup quinoa to 2 cups of water) and skip the soaking all together. I however soaked my quinoa, drained and rinsed it, then cooked it in a saucepan with 1 1/4 cups chicken broth.
- Heat up a good sized skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil and butter. When the butter is melted, add the coriander seeds and cumin....stir constantly for about a minute, then add the garlic, mushrooms, onions and jalapeno. Saute until tender. Reduce the heat to low and add in the cooked quinoa and black eyed peas. Heat through. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with lemon juice and cilantro.
NotesAfter learning that quinoa is basically treated the same as one would treat rice...the flood gates have opened and I am now freely playing with quinoa. This is the first of what I hope is many successful and delicious dishes.