- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6 to 8
- Preparation Time:
- 2 yellow beets
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 3 parsnips, chopped
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cups gluten-free vegetable stock or water
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Rub beets all over with 1 teaspoon of the oil, then season liberally with salt and pepper. Wrap in foil, place on a small baking sheet and roast for about 1 hour, until beets are tender. Allow beets to cool and then peel and chop them. Meanwhile, toss carrots and parsnips in remaining 3 teaspoons oil, season with salt and pepper and place on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for about 50 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Put quinoa, lemon juice, stock or water and thyme into a small pot. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, until quinoa is tender. Remove from heat and set aside to let cool to room temperature.
- Put quinoa, roasted carrots and parsnips into a large bowl and toss to combine. Add beets, onions, parsley, salt and pepper, mix well and serve.
NotesRoasted root veggies, including carrots, parsnips and beets combine with nutty, protein-rich quinoa in this simple side dish or vegetarian main course. You can prepare this ahead and freeze the vegetables and quinoa separately, easily tossing together before serving.
Per serving (About 8.5oz/239g-wt.): 260 calories (60 from fat), 7g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 8g protein, 42g total carbohydrate (5g dietary fiber, 7g sugar), 0mg cholesterol, 720mg sodium
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Angel Acres Holiday Dessert Cookbook
Eco-Chefs Kids Culinary CookbookSee More
Soft Pumpkin Cookies with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
Hot 'n Beefy Stuffed Pepper
Ginger Peach Upside Down CakeSee More