- Cooking Time: 30
- Servings: 6-8
- Preparation Time: 15
BackstoryI love quinoa. It's low in calories and high in protein, is easy to make, and is also extremely versatile. I used to make a soup back in high school using quinoa, vegetable broth, tomatoes, and Tofurky sausage. I loved it. I've since lost the recipe. This is my attempt to recreate it.
- 2 small to medium shallots, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa
- 16 oz. can diced tomatoes with chipotle peppers
- 1 Rapunzel vegetable bouillon cube
- 6 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 Tofurky sun-dried tomato sausages
- Saute the onion and green pepper in a small amount of oil in a large pot until tender. Rinse the dry quinoa in a mesh strainer, a little bit at a time, and then add it and the tomatoes, water, and bouillon to the pot. Increase the heat and add your spices and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and let simmer for approximately 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice your sausage into rounds (or into half moon shapes) and fry in a bit of oil until brown on each side.
- When the quinoa is cooked and the chili has thickened, add the sausage pieces and stir.