- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup coarsely chopped peeled butternut squash
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 finely chopped jalapeno pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/3 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoon thinly sliced green onions
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add squash and next 4 ingredients (squash through garlic); saute 4 minutes. Stir in broth, quinoa, and salt; bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed.
- Sprinkle the quinoa mixture with thinly sliced green onions.
- Note: to prep squash: Take your squash and put it into a suitably-sized pot. Cover it with water, put the lid on the pot, and bring it to a boil (the steam trapped in the pot will cook whatever portion of the squash is above the surface). Simmer the squash for just a few minutes, until a wooden skewer or toothpick can penetrate the skin but *just* the skin; roughly 4-5 minutes. Allow the squash to cool. Then dice!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Let's Talk Turkey! My Family's Turkey Day Feast
Babette's Test Kitchen
Second Grade Holiday CookbookSee More
Easy Chocolate Tart
Black Bean And Corn QuesadillasSee More