Quinoa with chickpeas
- grape seed oil (or olive oil) (about 1 tablespoon or less)
- about 1/4 cup vermicelli
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups of water or vegetable or chicken stock
- if using just water add about 1.5 tablespoons of chicken bouillon
- black pepper
- approximately 1/2 cup (or MORE) of cooked chickpeas
- about 2 medium sized chopped Roma tomatoes
- about 1/2 an onion chopped
- minced garlic to your liking
- a chiffonade of fresh mint leaves (about 5-7 leaves)
- lemon juice to your liking
Heat oil in a non stick pan, add vermicelli till golden in color, stirring constantly. Add quinoa give it a quick toss with oil and vermicelli, add water, or stock, if using just water add bouillon, salt & pepper, cover and turn heat to lowest setting and cook for about 20 minutes or till most of the water is evaporated. Meanwhile in another pan saute tomatoes, onion and garlic together, add to quinoa mixture, add chickpeas, lemon juice, & mint, cook for a few more minutes and enjoy! :-)
Garnished with a side of roasted asparagus & green beans.
Pairs Well With
I came across this super grain while reading an article about high protein grains. Quinoa is an excellent source of protein and fiber, as well as iron, zinc, potassium, calcium, and vitamin E. It has a nutty taste and the texture is both crunchy and soft...
This is a great replacement for rice... can be used as a side dish, main dish, in salads, and soups...
Cook same way as rice, 1 part grain and 2 parts water or stock...
you can order online @ www.markethallfoods.com or go to a health or gourmet food store such as whole foods, Henry's, and Trader Joes...