- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8 scones
- Preparation Time:
Backstory"The mild nutty flavor makes these scones a perfect accompaniment to jams and jellies, as well as many of our spreads and butters."
- 1 1/2 c. raisin bran cereal
- 1/2 c. milk
- 2 c. flour
- 1/2 c. firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 c. unsalted butter, chilled
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2/3 c. coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1 egg white mixed with 1/2 tsp. water for glaze (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Butter a 10" diameter circle in center of prepared baking sheet.
- In small bowl stir together the cereal and milk. Let mixture stand for 5-19 min. to soften.
- In large bowl stir together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut butter into 1/2" cubes and distribute over flour mixture. With pastry blender or two knives used scissors fashion, cut in butter 'til mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir eggs and vanilla into cereal mixture. Add cereal mixture to flour mixture and stir to combine. The dough will be sticky. With lightly floured hands, knead in nuts 'til they are evenly distributed.
- With lightly floured hands, pat dough into an 9" circle in center of prepared baking sheet. If desired brush egg mixture over top and sides of dough. With serrated knife, cut into 8 wedges. Bake for 30-35 min. or 'til cake tester or toothpick inserted into center of scone comes out clean.
- Remove baking sheet to wire rack and cool for 10 min. Using a spatula transfer scones to wire rack to cool. Re-cut wedges, if necessary. Serve warm or cool completely and store in airtight container.